Saturday, April 25, 2009

Heart To Heart

Today was a beautiful spring day; warm, and sunny with a nice breeze that made the sun feel just right. After being outside all day planting, playing, and doing yard work, my 6 year old and I were taking a little break.

“Let’s play a Fishful Thinking game” I say. “What game?” asks Bubba.

“Let’s sit here with our eyes closed and you tell me what you hear.”

“Okay”. He closes his eyes, and listens. He starts to tell me what he is hearing, pausing to listen again between each telling.

“I hear bird chirpies”

“I hear an airplane”

“I hear daddy cutting grass”

“I hear a dog barking”

“I hear the trees talking” ….”What do they say?” I ask

“They’re happy the wind isn’t being mean today, and they are telling the birds to come visit them” …. “How nice. What else do you hear?”

“I hear a bee buzzing” silence…”Momma?” in a small fearful voice.

"Yes?”

“I hear a big, mean dog barking, and it sounds like it’s coming to get us”

“Would you like to sit…?” He is in my lap before I can finish the question. He settles in, places his head on my shoulder, and starts to listen once again.

“I hear a car”

“I hear the wind”

In a hushed voice “Momma, I hear your heart talking!”

“Really? What is it saying?”

“It's saying Love you. Love you. Love you….. Do you think you can hear my heart talking?”

“Well, let’s see” He stands, and I place my head against his little body.

He waits anxiously “Can you hear it?”

“Oh yes” I say in a voice filled with awe.

“What is it telling you?”

“It says... Momma listen closely, and I will sing you a song….Your heart is singing to me”

Whispering…”Is it singing I love you?”

“Yes” I whisper back still listening. After a long moment “Do you know what else I hear?”

“What?” he asks expectantly.

“I hear a tummy rumbling, and growling…FEED ME FEED ME” I growl, tickling his belly. “Would you like to go back up to the house and help me make dinner?

He laughs, and plops back down into my lap. “No Momma, my tummy can wait. My heart wants to talk to yours some more”

We sit quietly, with the breeze caressing our faces, eyes closed, my arms wrapped around him, my chin on his head, listening, having a heart to heart. And…

It’s the best conversation ever.

Blessings!
Dana

1 comment: