Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Tasty Tuesday

The Friday before Easter the heating element of my oven quit working. For a mom who loves to cook, the oven breaking down two days before a holiday is what one might call a nightmare. Well I quickly rearranged the menu. I made use of my 22 quart roaster, the stove top, slow cooker, microwave, and my sister-in-law's Cafe oven, and we got through the day with everyone enjoying the meal.

Now nearly two weeks later I still do not have an oven. They were here yesterday to fix it, and brought the wrong parts. I will not have an oven until at least next Thursday, and it looks my slow cooker is going to continue getting quite a workout.

I have been surprised by the number of friends who have been asking "what kinds of things are you cooking in that thing?" A lot of them have slow cookers, or crock-pots, but have not used them because they have no idea what to cook in them.

I'd been thinking of adding recipes to this blog, but wasn't sure how I wanted to do it. I'm great in the kitchen, but technology challenged, and don't know how to make a new tab at the top of the page.

So until I get that figured out I thought I'd make Tuesday the day to post some of my favorite recipes. So here it is, my first Tasty Tuesday, starting with a great slow cooker Italian Beef Cubes Recipe.

Italian Beef Cubes

3 Pounds Beef Tips

1 1/2 c. Fresh Mushrooms Sliced

1 Pkg Italian Green Beans Frozen

1 Small Onion Diced

1 Small Green Pepper Chopped

1 Stalk Celery Sliced

1 Large Can Italian Style Diced Tomatoes

1 6 oz can tomato paste

1 can beef broth

1 Tbsp Dried Italian Seasoning

1 tsp Minced Garlic

Place mushrooms, green beans, onion, green pepper, and celery into bottom of slow cooker.

Place beef tips on top of vegetables.

Combine undrained tomatoes, tomato paste, Italian season, beef broth and garlic into a medium bowl. When combined, pour over beef and vegetables.

Place cover on slow cooker. Cook on low 8 -10 hours, or high 4 -6 hours.

Serve over top of rice, or pasta, with crusty bread. Sprinkle with grated parmesan.

Note: To make clean up easier spray the slow cooker with cooking spray, or use one of the handy new slow cooker liners that are avalaible at your local grocery.

Hope you enjoy!

Blessings!

Dana

No comments:

Post a Comment